Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Springtime in the Rockies

My poor tulips are trying their best to bloom, but at an elevation of about 6200 ft. it's not easy. This morning they are peeking through the latest snowfall, surrounded by the chicken wire fence that protects them from hungry bunnies. I look at the beautiful photos of the tulip fields in the Skagit Valley of Washington and sigh, but I treasure my little clump that I know will eventually provide a few beautiful blooms!




Here are my pots of rosemary and lavender that I put out on a beautifully sunny day just a week or so ago. I think they are sturdy enough to make it - in fact, they probably enjoy the moisture - but the poor pansy blooms are quite shriveled up and frostbitten. They're in the pot on the right, totally covered with snow this morning. I think the plants will survive, though. It's this way every year. We are fooled into thinking Spring has really arrived, and then Mother Nature brings another storm our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment