Monday, June 3, 2013

Bunnies and Squirrels


We moved most of the pepper and basil seedlings from the back yard to the front porch, hoping that they will fare better there until we can transplant them into some larger pots. The poor little basils became a bit sun burned in their previous spot - and wind blown. They should have some better protection here. It did occur to me, however, that the squirrels live in the big spruce tree right next to the porch, and love to scamper about on the deck, munching on the bird seed left on the bench and sipping from the bird bath. I don't know if they have an appetite for basil and pepper plants - I have my fingers crossed! I'm thinking that they might find the newly sprouted nasturtiums tasty, however. I'll have to figure out a way to cover the tub where they're growing. And I have seen a bunny make its way up the porch steps in the past. I might have to put up the baby gate that we use to keep the dogs upstairs at night. Keeping all of the little green things alive here is never easy! At least we don't have slugs! They were always an issue in Washington. They would actually climb up the stairs to my deck on the second level of the house to munch on the flowers I had growing in pots. I guess I should be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment