Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dreaming of England...

Ever since I was a child I have longed to visit England. This longing became more intensified with the "British Invasion" of the early '60s - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithful, Twiggy, Mary Quant...Yardley white lipstick!


 I was inspired to study English literature - Shakespeare, John Keats, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron - this became my major in college. Not entirely practical, but I loved the romanticism and the magic of the words And once in a while it comes in handy when watching Jeopardy!

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Since I have been seriously researching my family, my desire to visit the place from whence they came has become even stronger. My great-great-grandmother, Alice Zipporah Webb was born in Gloucestershire. I would love to be able to walk in her footsteps.

Gloucestershire, England

 I may never visit England in this lifetime - unless I win the lottery - but it lives on in my heart - and my imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment