Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Two Grandmas On The Loose!



I planned on taking a nap sometime during the early evening of Tuesday, but that didn't happen - sleep wouldn't come - I was too excited!  We left home at 3:00 a.m. on Wednesday and headed for the Denny's on 128th where Paul was going to drop Rubye off. It was nice and handy to the freeway entrance. We waited a few minutes and soon they drove up. It was so wonderful to see Paul again after so many years. He looked just as I remembered him. He stowed Rubye's luggage in the back of my car, and we were off.

The ride to Sea-Tac went smoothly. There wasn't much traffic that time of the morning, and we were there with time to spare. Larry dropped us off at the curb, we checked our bags and headed for security. I have no idea why, but my boarding pass said TSA Pre-Check, so when we reached the point where we presented our pass to the TSA agent, one of them pulled me out of the line and said, "Come with me." I just stood there for a moment, and he repeated "Come with me," so of course I did. I thought I was in trouble for sure, but somehow I was pre-checked and didn't even have to remove my shoes. Poor Rubye had no idea what had happened to me, but soon we found each other and  and made our way to our gate, with a stop at Starbucks first. We were pretty thankful that it was open at that early morning hour. My mocha woke me up somewhat, and we were excited about soon being on our way - a little nervous, but excited nonetheless.

The flight went well, and we had lots of time to chat. Rubye and I had been good friends in the past, and it seemed as if the years just faded away as we shared tidbits of information about ourselves. Before we knew it we were landing at DIA, hopping on the train, picking up our bags, and toting them along as we followed the signs leading to the rental cars. When we walked outside it felt like it could snow any minute! We didn't have to wait long for the shuttle that would take us to Payless Car Rental. I waited outside while Rubye went in and took care of the paperwork, and soon we were tooling along in a pretty red Hyundai. I found the directions on my phone to take us to the hotel.


 It was just a hop, skip and a jump away, but when we got there, the rooms weren't quite ready. I texted Kamaria to see if she still wanted to meet for lunch, and she did, so I got Lindsey's address, looked up the directions, and we were off to see our girl!

Somehow, the directions from the map app on my phone took us to the wrong place. After driving around in circles for awhile, I called Kamaria and we decided that it would be easier to meet her at Southlands Mall, since I definitely knew how to get there. I felt like I was back home when I saw the Southlands sign...



We got to the Mall, and Kamaria sent me a text and said that Lindsey had to get back to school, and asked if we could pick her up there. We got directions and off we went to Cherokee Trail. It was just around the corner, we found a place to park, and soon Kamaria came running out. I jumped out of the car, gave her a hug, and introduced her to Rubye. It was such a wonderful feeling to see those two together again after fifteen years! I'm sure Rubye was reprocessing her image of the curly-headed little girl who had gone away all those years ago to the beautiful young lady in front of her. Kamaria seemed totally at ease with the experience of meeting her other Grandma, and off we went back to the Mall to Old Chicago Pizza for lunch.


 What a wonderful time we had with Kamaria! We shared so many memories of what she was like as a little girl, things she hadn't heard about during the past fifteen years. Rubye gave her the laptop from Paul and I gave her the scrapbook I had made for her. I tried to include a lot of pictures of her and Rachel...



  and of her and Paul...



and with Grandma...




and Uncle Matt...




and Andy...


The Denver Zoo...


Garden of the Gods...


and some of Disneyland...


I meant to add more recent photos, but ran out of time!

As we were leaving,  Rubye asked Kamaria  if there was anything else she needed in order to ready for graduation the next day, and she said that she was thinking of getting her nails done, so we dropped her off at the nail salon. While she was there, Rubye wanted to stop at Wal-Mart for a couple of things. We were walking through the store, when all of a sudden Rubye said, "Hey, ain't that them?" It took me a few moments to recognize Rachel, Alyra and Chloe walking past us. I was amazed that Rubye recognized them before I did! They saw us, but just kept on walking! I was shocked and heartbroken. There were my girls, and Rachel wouldn't even talk to me, just because Rubye was with me. It was a sad moment, but we couldn't help but laugh at Rubye's quick reaction to seeing them!

As we were getting into the car, Kamaria texted me to say that she was done, we picked her up, and she said that Alyra had texted her and told her that they had seen us getting into the car. I can't imagine what Rachel must have told the girls, what kind of explanation she could have given as to why they couldn't come up to me, hug me, talk to me.

We drove Kamaria back to Lindsey's house and went back to the hotel, very tired from our lack of sleep the previous night. We checked in and found our rooms - 311 and 312. It was a very  nice room. I put my clothes away, washed my face, and hit the hay around seven p.m.!

 


 For some odd reason, I couldn't figure out how to turn the light off above the sink, so there was a glow from that area all night, but I didn't let that keep me awake. I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow, but because I went to bed so early, I was wide away at 2:30 a.m. What to do? I read for awhile, and around 4:30 made a cup of coffee. Strangely enough, that made me sleepy, so I dozed off until around 6:30, got up, and got ready for the day.

More to follow...



No comments:

Post a Comment