Friday, October 30, 2015

Ding Dong! Avon Calling!

My reintroduction into the world of selling Avon has brought back some childhood memories. It would always be so exciting to come home from school and find the Avon lady in our living room! In fact, just the sight of her car in the driveway caused me to run up the front porch steps in anticipation!

 I don't remember our Avon lady dressing in a suit with a red hat and matching gloves. Most likely she wore a cotton dress, but always heels and nylon stockings, as every lady did in the '50s when going anywhere other than the corner grocery! She and Mom would sit on the sofa, going over the latest brochure, and when I came into the room, I would be invited to join them. Soon the moment I had been waiting for would arrive - she would take out the lipstick sample case!


There they were, all of the adorable little lipsticks with their perfectly pointy tops! Margie could only have the lightest pink, but I was allowed to choose whichever color I wanted! I felt pretty special and made that little tube last until the next visit from the Avon Lady.


I guarded my little horde of sample tubes carefully and was careful to pick a different shade each time until I had quite a collection.

I am sorry that Avon doesn't carry these little sample tubes any longer, but I think the wonderful memory of them played a big part of me eventually becoming an Avon Lady myself! Now, instead of carrying around cute little lipstick cases door-to-door, we have eStores - please take a peek at mine and let me know if I can help you pick out your own special shade!

No comments:

Post a Comment