Monday, October 19, 2015

Kamaria's Dream



Twenty-one days ago I began my quest to gather together the funds needed to cover Kamaria's missing tuition money. I decided to do this via a GoFundMe account. It seemed to be the logical way to approach things - the perfect way to send my message out to the Universe and let Kamaria's plight be known to my friends and family. I am truly thankful for the people who have stepped up to help this young woman who is so special to me, and through no fault of her own is in jeopardy of having to leave school because she can't pay her first semester's tuition. It really is a pity that the wording in her Financial Aid paperwork wasn't more clear, but that is neither here nor there at this point. The fact is that she is in school, doing well, loves it, and wants to stay. I can't do anything about fixing the way this situation came about, but I truly hoped that I could do something to help make it better.

I am shocked and hurt that more of the people who I truly believed would always be there for me have not offered to help us out. I belonged to a church in Castle Rock, CO for years and thought those people were my friends. Many of them have met Kamaria and know what potential she has. In my mind, I saw all of these people, along with my family and other friends, putting in a couple of dollars each, and before long the goal would be met! I knew this was how GoFundMe works. It didn't happen, however, and I've had to fight the tendency to become disillusioned and depressed by the process.

I don't know how many people read my blog, but for those of you who do, here is the link to Kamaria's GoFundMe account: https://www.gofundme.com/hd545jwa?pc=14_tw_1

We still have a few weeks to come up the enough money to allow her to register for next semester, which she can't do until this semester is paid for. This has been a good learning experience for Kamaria - a lesson that everything isn't always as it appears to be and sometimes necessary details are hiding between the lines. My heart goes out to her, knowing that she thought all was well and her future at Mesa was secure. She should be spending this precious time focusing on her studies, rather than worrying about whether she'll have a place there next semester and beyond.

I'm not going to give up on making my granddaughter's dream come true. She has been the light of my life since the day she was born, and I have faith that everything will turn out as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment